Land transport is the main utilized mode of transport used in Rwanda through roads. Thus, the Ministry of Infrastructure is ensuring that the national road network is expanded, rehabilitated, upgraded, and maintained appropriately through Rwanda Transport Development Agency, which is an implementing agency affiliated to the Ministry of Infrastructure.
This infrastructure development aims at both ensuring the mobility connecting different areas of the country and opening up the country to ease land-locked status. In addition, with land transport using roads will be complemented by a railway with the implementation of a Multinational Railway project “the Dar Es Salaam – Isaka – Kigali/Keza – Gitega – Musongati Railway Project” which is under implementation.
Rwanda has made significant achievements in developing transport Infrastructure in recent years. The government also though of revamping the transport sector by ensuring provision of adequate transport services to ensure door-to-door mobility and accessibility of people and goods; which is key to economic growth.
In October 2012, the government of Rwanda has approved the Public Transport Policy and Strategy for Rwanda.
The key principles for Public Transport survives in Rwanda are:
- To ensure universal public transport services for all citizens
- To ensure accessibility (easy to use)
- To ensure mobility ( door to door)
- To ensure availability for use (responsive to demand)
- To ensure reliability to use (Providing services as per standard time schedule or available on demand )
- To promote safety and security for passengers-To ensure monitoring and evaluation of level of service and performance, and Satisfy from the user’s point of view.